It is always a happy day when a credit card reinstates a huge bonus, and American Express have gone and brought back the 20,000 Starpoint bonus for their Starwood Preferred Guest (“SPG”) credit card. I took out this credit card a few months ago, but they withdrew the bonus before I had a chance to write about it on here.
What are the benefits of the card?
- A 20,000 Starpoint bonus (worth 25,000 avios when converted)
- Earn 1 Starpoint for every £1 spent
- Travel inconvenience insurance (covering flight cancellations and delayed baggage to relatively high amounts) and travel accident cover when you buy tickets on the card.
- Refund/purchase protection.
How does the bonus work?
- You must spend £1,000 in the first three months (a relatively modest target to hit)
- Amex will credit 20,000 starpoints to your SPG account (apparently they set this up automatically, although I had to call them and give them a nudge)
How much will it cost?
- There is an annual fee of £75
- After three months, your bonus points will have been posted and you can cancel the card. You will then receive a pro-rated refund. If you do indeed cancel, you will end up paying around £20 overall.
- It is possible to apply for the card through Quidco or Topcashback to receive a £15 cashback, so if you play this right, you can pay just £5 for your 25,000 avios. This is an insane deal!!
What are 20,000 Starpoints worth?
- Airline Partners – When converting to an airline programe, they give you a 5,000 mile bonus, so you effectively have 25,000 miles plus whatever you have earned on top by spending on the card. Here are some airline partners where you can transfer your miles:
– British Airways
– Qatar Airways
– Singapore Airlines
– Thai Airways
– American Airlines (great to boost your AAdvantage miles hoard if you took up the AA MBNA card offer I wrote about a couple of weeks ago)
- Hotel Rooms – you can redeem your points for hotel rooms under the SPG umbrella. These hotels include:
– St Regis
– Le Meridien
– W Hotels
– Four Points
- There are various other options such as train trips, transferring to another member, giving to charity, unique experiences, and redeeming with partners such as amazon or iTunes.
Extra 1,000 Points!
To boost your hoard, if I refer you, SPG will give you an extra 1,000 starpoints. Please email me at nickyjameskelvin at gmail dot com to request a referral for your extra bonus points!
This is another fantastic offer that is not to be missed. I would recommend all of you taking out the card, spend the grand and then cancelling. This simple benefit will allow you to reap huge rewards! You’d have more than enough avios to upgrade to business class on a trip to New York! For more information, and to apply without a referral for extra points, click here.
Please be in touch to organise a referral and as always, please feel free to comment with any questions or additional tips you may have. Please follow the blog by entering your email below to get posts straight to your inbox, and follow the Miles Mogul on Facebook!